how quickly they crash

in memory of Wipoto, whose whines were real, unlike yours

Moderator: clw54

adamlaneus
CCW likes me more than Rollo

how quickly they crash

Post by adamlaneus »

poor dad is screwed up, weak and cannot cook for himself anymore. it happened in the course of three days.

and now i get multiple confused disoriented calls per day.

hopefully i can get some in home help set up asap. as in monday.

i've already screwed up my back probably due to stress.
Neil

Re: how quickly they crash

Post by Neil »

When they go this quickly you need to be with him, he could just walk away, or leave the gas range on, and blow up the house.

Tomorrow get a notarized general power of attorney naming you as his attorney in fact (agent). Living will, and advanced directive also.

Get him in an Alzheimer's home with hot, young Filipino caretakers. It will help both of you. In your neck of the woods, a one bedroom, no shared bath should be $4,000-$6,000 a month.
adamlaneus

Post by adamlaneus »

I'm visiting daily at this point. I think we're going to try for an in-home caregiver.

he can't walk far, just to the bathroom.

taking off right now actually. gbye
Neil

Post by Neil »

3 day deterioration = strove.

The in home caretakers tend to be a little nutty. They have no other life, because they live 24/7 with the patient. They can get between $7,000 -$9,000 a month.

If that's the route you go, get his valuables, including his will, out of the house.
PerryHall

Post by PerryHall »

adamlaneus wrote:I'm visiting daily at this point. I think we're going to try for an in-home caregiver.

he can't walk far, just to the bathroom.

taking off right now actually. gbye
Medicare should pay for in-home hospice care.
adamlaneus

Post by adamlaneus »

i dunno if we're at hospice yet, that requires a doctor's evaluation.

He's been wasting for quite some time and he was clearly going to get to the point where he was no longer mobile enough to cook for himself in the kitchen. We have arrived at that point.

There is a family across the street that has been very helpful and they have a line on some reliable in home care, a family member of theirs I believe. So I guess we'll explore that route, much more trustable than the Elmo you'll get if you walk in cold somewhere. We did that once and were horrified at who came over.

I installed some "X10" home automation in that house long ago and it chose last night to fail in a way that really freaked poor dad out. Lights just going on and off, no control at all. I inspected the device and yep, it's a piece of crap. I've never seen such failures in electrical gear...X10 home automation takes last place. I've put this stuff into my house years ago and regret it mightily, each time I have to extract a malfunctioning piece of crap that I installed into the wall or ceiling.
adamlaneus

Post by adamlaneus »

Elmo i could probably whine pretty good if i wanted to

i usually just keep it to myself

perhaps i should take more advantage of rollos forum in the near future
clw54
I have a blog

Post by clw54 »

I'm sorry to hear this, Adam.

This is a vastly underappreciated forum. Smoetimes people have stuff to whine about and they should be able to.
--Smoetimes Clw's genius is just scary. :evil: -- Catch22

I hate the government -- Barndog

everyone wants to pontificate but nobody wants to wipe ass with one square -- Cullen

We sure give a lot of importance to stuff we will label bullelmo 30 days later. :lol: -- Rollo
Rollo Tomassi
Associate Smoe old dude's fried ball sundae

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

:arrow:
Last edited by Rollo Tomassi on Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Racist" is a toolword. You must know that.
Any objective examination of the effect of "them" has to lead you to the behavior and ideology that is now termed, "racist."

Refute if you can.
markqlicker

Post by markqlicker »

:(

Sorry to hear this Adam. Watching parents age is never a good time.

The best to you and your father.
So long, Paul.
brian

Post by brian »

seen people I loved go down fast and it never is easy seeing family going down that way
expect the unexpected to happen as it will no matter what one does
Comrade Renski

Post by Comrade Renski »

Sorry to hear-here comrade adam. Good luck. Smoe good advice here-hear.
mdwoods
POTD Giver Outer

Post by mdwoods »

:cry:
We Are Stardust

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight". Albert Schweitzer

"I fear that if my hope trumps my reason I will be entombed in false beliefs"
Robert Lawrence Kuhn
Neil

Post by Neil »

Just went through 5 years of living hell with my mom dying from dementia.

The small assisted living facilities are superior to the larger institutional settings, and usually cheaper, and obviously more personal. In SoCal the small ones are one story, single family residences, and accommodate no more than 6 patients. If he can afford it try to get the master bedroom for him. Obviously the largest room and a more luxurious feeling. For a fee they will order and give him all his meds. Make sure the facility is secure in terms of a mechanical warning system, if he tries to walk out the door alone. Ask how much annual rent/care increases are. Also can he stay at that facility for hospice care, or does he need another facility. How much more for hospice care. Usually someone that owns a group of these smaller homes, offering different levels of care at each home, is preferred.

If I can answer any questions, PM me.
adamlaneus

Post by adamlaneus »

Well, since he's not eating he won't last five years. Dementia is present.

So far, every home in Fremont i've seen is essentially a madhouse. So far, the live-in help we've seen have been buffoons.

I think we have a way forward. I feel awful but he's the one dying.
Neil

Post by Neil »

They will give him pills to make him eat.

Take his favorite chair, his chest of drawers, bed, TV, and nightstands to the new place. He needs familiar things around him.

Even if they offer to take "Pepper" in, don't do it. They really hate caring for patients pets. She would suffer.

Phone some docs specializing in geriatrics, and ask the receptionist to recommend some places.
adamlaneus

Post by adamlaneus »

Things as I understand it today:

Kitty is mine. She's integrated well into my house. Dad hated kitty anyway.

He is not so far gone that he cannot do his own pills. I keep an eye on this to verify he's keeping up, and can do the pharmacy runs to get more of what he needs.
Only one pill actually, something to do with emphysema, which is primarily his issue.

Gives me an idea...perhaps getting him an oxygen tank will somehow give him more energy? He's had them before but rejected them. That was some time ago.

He is not going into a care facility if we can help it. If we do have to go that route, i'll see what I can do about familiarity.

Thanks for the advice.
walmann

Post by walmann »

With my dad we did in home care, but he went very quickly, two weeks. My aunt (my mom's sister) has been with us for 12 years, the decline in her abilities has increased dramatically, but there are two of us, plus the grandkids. The grandkids aren't old enough to care for her, but do keep an eye on her as well giving her good personal interaction.

Our family has never thought much of putting family members into care facilities, everything is done to keep family at home.
Sheep are fed information, wolves hunt for it.

"I apologize for replacing superstition with science. If it is any solace, the West has abandoned this and gone back to blaming the weather on the acts of man." - Don Surber
adamlaneus

Post by adamlaneus »

In the emergency room. Dad today was laying on his own feces being combative about cleaning it up. So it starts. Heart rate 180.
Neil

Post by Neil »

The fun part is the strain on the one son (or daughter) who lives closest, and is solely responsible for him. Guaranteed to test the most formidable sibling relationship.

I'm only speaking for dementia care. If you can afford to place him in a facility close to you, do it. If you can't afford it, everyday gets progressively worse for dementia patients. You, the caregiver, will age rapidly, as you're already witnessing.