Welcome to San Francisco

Talk about whatever you like but please try to keep it somewhat clean.

Moderator: clw54

flaminio
EZEKIEL 23:20

Re: Welcome to San Francisco

Post by flaminio »

Driver hits woman, then Cruise driverless car runs her over

Video taken by the Cruise car shows that the woman was struck first by another vehicle. The video shows both the Cruise car and the other vehicle stopped side by side at an intersection and when the light turns green both cars proceed into the intersection, where a woman is walking. The other car hits her and she tumbles and bounces off the side of the car then falls into the path of the Cruise car, which runs her over.

I can't fault the robot-car here, although I'm sure many will. The woman (likely a fentanyl'd up zombie) walked into traffic and was hit by a human-driven car, and then bounced into the path of the robo-car. This is no trolley problem; this is just a situation that no amount of programming can avoid.

It also should be noted that the Cruise stopped, while the human driven car took off. Hopefully the Cruise's camera got a pic of the license plate, so at least they can trace it back to guy who had his car stolen.

As I've stated many times, all I require of robo-cars is to be safer than human driven cars. It's a very low bar.
BobLibertarian • Skeptic • Omnivore • Atheist • Californian • Voter • Father • Numismatist • Curmudgeon • Genius • Non-Smoker • Happy-Go-Lucky
Friends: Petescorner • saintguru • Goose • xpipe • SFDukie • gsaguy • HappyLittleTrees • tumuss • Clark • Gyocomgd • "Cats are for fags." -TheLiberator
FREE ANONYMOOSEAn Eternal Sportsmind For YouJESUS WAS A LIBERTARIANI don't care what you think as long as it's about me...
Barndog

Post by Barndog »

it was tragic that one survived
flaminio

Post by flaminio »

Barndog wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:29 pm it was tragic that one survived
I can only imagine the hospital bills for the survivor that the taxpayers will have to cover.

Of course, if you or I were in such a wreck, we'd probably end up bankrupt.

The system is complete screwed up.
BobLibertarian • Skeptic • Omnivore • Atheist • Californian • Voter • Father • Numismatist • Curmudgeon • Genius • Non-Smoker • Happy-Go-Lucky
Friends: Petescorner • saintguru • Goose • xpipe • SFDukie • gsaguy • HappyLittleTrees • tumuss • Clark • Gyocomgd • "Cats are for fags." -TheLiberator
FREE ANONYMOOSEAn Eternal Sportsmind For YouJESUS WAS A LIBERTARIANI don't care what you think as long as it's about me...
BigMark

Post by BigMark »

to live in a nice place and claim poverty is the California dream.
flaminio

Post by flaminio »

This is getting serious.

Starbucks to close seven downtown S.F. locations.

Starbucks will close seven of its downtown San Francisco stores by the end of the month, the company said. Employees were notified of the closures Tuesday.

A company spokesperson said that employees at each of the closing locations — Mission and Main St., Geary and Taylor, 425 Battery, 398 Market, Fourth and Market, 555 California and Bush and Van Ness — will be offered the opportunity to transfer to another location. The stores will close Oct. 22.

I'm pretty sure the 4th&Market location closed a while back. I walk by there frequently; it shows as a Pokestop but there's no Starbucks visible. Anyways, I always go to the Peet's across the street, so no harm there.
BigMark

Post by BigMark »

I have been to many Starbucks where you can see another. They don't have drip coffee here. An Americano is expresso mixed with hot water.
MacGyver
Purveyor of the political smackdown

Post by MacGyver »

All a guy needs is Tim’s…
------------------------------------------------------------
Farkas: “...if they found out how we knew what we knew about their … the Trump staff dealing with Russians...”

Page: "Potus wants to know everything we're doing,"

Barry: “...they’re now calling to ask for their foreign policy back because, you know, the Cold War’s been over for 20 years.”
flaminio

Post by flaminio »

BigMark

Post by BigMark »

Savages.
flaminio

Post by flaminio »

Crocker Galleria, Downtown San Francisco’s Other Mall, Is Down to Three Tenants

“Best Shoeshine in the World” according to Vanity Fair magazine in 2012 may be among the sadder flexes still posted to a wall in 2023, but that’s what greets visitors to the lower level of the Crocker Galleria in Downtown San Francisco. The shoeshine stand, however, is long gone.

Currently, the Galleria’s only extant businesses are La Luna Cupcakes, Julie’s Kitchen and one of the Bay Area’s 10 locations of Ladle & Leaf.

flaminio

Post by flaminio »

California DMV has revoked Cruise's permit to operate driverless vehicles, effective immediately.

Public safety remains the California DMV’s top priority, and the department’s autonomous vehicle regulations provide a framework to facilitate the safe testing and deployment of this technology on California public roads. When there is an unreasonable risk to public safety, the DMV can immediately suspend or revoke permits. There is no set time for a suspension.

The California DMV today notified Cruise that the department is suspending Cruise’s autonomous vehicle deployment and driverless testing permits, effective immediately. The DMV has provided Cruise with the steps needed to apply to reinstate its suspended permits, which the DMV will not approve until the company has fulfilled the requirements to the department’s satisfaction. This decision does not impact the company’s permit for testing with a safety driver.

It's a bit unfair. The recent accident was almost unpreventable -- this is no trolley problem. But I get that luddites have problems with robot-cars running over people.
flaminio

Post by flaminio »

‘They just said we had to go’: S.F. clears homeless hot spots ahead of APEC

San Francisco officials have been working to clear some of the city’s hot spots for homeless tent camps ahead of world leaders, dignitaries, corporate executives and international journalists descending on the city for this month’s Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit.

Yes, sweep 'em under the rug. Always a good strat.

Also -- APEC is going to mess up traffic big time. Not that any y'all were coming anyway, but APEC week is definitely the time to stay away.
flaminio

Post by flaminio »

Rollo Tomassi
Associate Smoe old dude's fried ball sundae

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

:?:
"Racist" is a toolword. You must know that.
Any objective examination of the effect of "them" has to lead you to the behavior and ideology that is now termed, "racist."

Refute if you can.
flaminio

Post by flaminio »

ImageImage
BigMark

Post by BigMark »

A MILLION IMAGES AND YOU CHOSE ROUND? :mad:
flaminio

Post by flaminio »

FatMan

Post by FatMan »

flaminio wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:34 pm This is getting serious.

Starbucks to close seven downtown S.F. locations.

Starbucks will close seven of its downtown San Francisco stores by the end of the month, the company said. Employees were notified of the closures Tuesday.

A company spokesperson said that employees at each of the closing locations — Mission and Main St., Geary and Taylor, 425 Battery, 398 Market, Fourth and Market, 555 California and Bush and Van Ness — will be offered the opportunity to transfer to another location. The stores will close Oct. 22.

I'm pretty sure the 4th&Market location closed a while back. I walk by there frequently; it shows as a Pokestop but there's no Starbucks visible. Anyways, I always go to the Peet's across the street, so no harm there.
With SBUX recent problems I would be interested to know if these are unionized locations. No mention in the article.
I speak for everyone. I am omnipotent :!:

Suches Life :heart:
flaminio

Post by flaminio »

flaminio

Post by flaminio »

SF reparations office on hold due to budget cuts

San Francisco’s first-ever Office of Reparations is among the programs gutted by Mayor London Breed’s budget cuts.

Funding for the office, which was set to launch this year, was erased as part of Breed’s $75 million cuts to the The City budget in preparation for a major deficit in 2024.

Guess the homies won't be getting $5M this year...