Welcome to San Francisco

Talk about whatever you like but please try to keep it somewhat clean.

Moderator: clw54

PerryHall

Re: Welcome to San Francisco

Post by PerryHall »

flaminio wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:14 pm SF reparations office on hold due to budget cuts

San Francisco’s first-ever Office of Reparations is among the programs gutted by Mayor London Breed’s budget cuts.

Funding for the office, which was set to launch this year, was erased as part of Breed’s $75 million cuts to the The City budget in preparation for a major deficit in 2024.

Guess the homies won't be getting $5M this year...
She can get away with it. If a white politician did this, he would be called a racist and there would be mass protests and rioting. :evil:
flaminio
EZEKIEL 23:20

Post by flaminio »

S.F. surpasses deadliest year for drug overdoses.

San Francisco has surpassed its deadliest year on record for accidental drug overdose deaths, a dreaded milestone reached a month before the new year and propelled by the prevalence of fentanyl.

In the first 11 months of 2023, San Francisco recorded 752 deaths, newly released data from the medical examiner’s office indicates. That’s 26 more than the previous peak of 726 deaths in 2020. Deaths recorded in December will drive up this year’s total even higher.
BobLibertarian • Skeptic • Omnivore • Atheist • Californian • Voter • Father • Numismatist • Curmudgeon • Genius • Non-Smoker • Happy-Go-Lucky
Friends: Petescorner • saintguru • Goose • xpipe • SFDukie • gsaguy • HappyLittleTrees • tumuss • Clark • Gyocomgd • "Cats are for fags." -TheLiberator
FREE ANONYMOOSEAn Eternal Sportsmind For YouJESUS WAS A LIBERTARIANI don't care what you think as long as it's about me...
flaminio

Post by flaminio »

PerryHall wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:39 pm
flaminio wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:14 pm SF reparations office on hold due to budget cuts

San Francisco’s first-ever Office of Reparations is among the programs gutted by Mayor London Breed’s budget cuts.

Funding for the office, which was set to launch this year, was erased as part of Breed’s $75 million cuts to the The City budget in preparation for a major deficit in 2024.

Guess the homies won't be getting $5M this year...
She can get away with it. If a white politician did this, he would be called a racist and there would be mass protests and rioting. :evil:
Do you want to read the report? It cost The City two million dollars, but you can read it for free:

https://sf.gov/sites/default/files/2023 ... 202023.pdf
BobLibertarian • Skeptic • Omnivore • Atheist • Californian • Voter • Father • Numismatist • Curmudgeon • Genius • Non-Smoker • Happy-Go-Lucky
Friends: Petescorner • saintguru • Goose • xpipe • SFDukie • gsaguy • HappyLittleTrees • tumuss • Clark • Gyocomgd • "Cats are for fags." -TheLiberator
FREE ANONYMOOSEAn Eternal Sportsmind For YouJESUS WAS A LIBERTARIANI don't care what you think as long as it's about me...
Barndog

Post by Barndog »

flaminio wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:00 pm S.F. surpasses deadliest year for drug overdoses.

San Francisco has surpassed its deadliest year on record for accidental drug overdose deaths, a dreaded milestone reached a month before the new year and propelled by the prevalence of fentanyl.

In the first 11 months of 2023, San Francisco recorded 752 deaths, newly released data from the medical examiner’s office indicates. That’s 26 more than the previous peak of 726 deaths in 2020. Deaths recorded in December will drive up this year’s total even higher.
they will still vote
flaminio

Post by flaminio »

flaminio

Post by flaminio »

Not exactly San Francisco, but if you've ever driven the SF<->LA route, this place is famous:

Legendary roadside restaurant Pea Soup Andersen's has closed out of nowhere

One of California’s most recognizable roadside restaurants has closed without so much as a goodbye to longtime fans and travelers.

Pea Soup Andersen’s, the staple Central Coast destination in Buellton, California — just off Highway 101 en route to the Danish holiday town Solvang — has gone dark, and rumors are swirling that the property itself may be redeveloped for housing. The property was previously listed for sale for just under $5 million in 2021, but no buyer was publicly announced.

Maybe they should have offered free charging for Teslas? It's about halfway; around where you need to stop your EV for a couple hours to charge up to finish the trip.

I actually stayed in Buellton last summer, right down the road from PSAs. I didn't eat there.
BigMark

Post by BigMark »

You HAD to stop there. :mad:
RMan

Post by RMan »

SanFran...ruled by such a caring group of fine upstanding people...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/socia ... 5920&ei=39
The city’s board voted 8-3 on Tuesday to pass a resolution calling for a sustained cease-fire in Israel’s war on Hamas.
Viral video of the votes’ aftermath depicted a crowd of overjoyed board members and onlookers dancing and clapping because of the result.

Many of the people caught on camera wore masks as they could be heard chanting, "Free! Free Palestine! Free! Free Palestine!" along with attempts to synchronize their clapping.
One of the masked members in the video could be seen carrying her baby as she bounced up and down to the chanting, while several others were shown sporting T-shirts with the slogan, "JEWS SAY CEASE FIRE NOW."

Some other elated congregants were wearing Keffiyeh scarves, garments which symbolize the struggle of the Palestinians against Israel.
RMan

Post by RMan »

Even this dude doesn't think it's a place for tourists right now...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tripid ... d60e&ei=29
"The people in the Bay are just focused on surviving," he continued. "That's the business owners, the locals — the amount of tents and living structures and burnt-up cars that we saw people living in was shocking, to say the least."
Lee revealed that the second reason he decided to cut the food tour short was due to multiple disappointing dining experiences.

"We went to a lot of restaurants — popular restaurants, not popular restaurants, mom and pop shops — and this is the first city where I have over six videos that I don't feel comfortable posting because nothing about my experience was constructive and nothing that I said was constructive," Lee said. "I've always been big on honesty, I've always been big on transparency, I've never been big on completely tearing down anybody, and I felt those videos were only doing that."
cladking

Post by cladking »

The city’s board voted 8-3 on Tuesday to pass a resolution calling for a sustained cease-fire in Israel’s war on Hamas.
This will get the garbage picked up and the roads repaired.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
PerryHall

Post by PerryHall »

cladking wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:00 pm
Notice the wording? What about a cease-fire in Hamas's war on Israel?
flaminio

Post by flaminio »

In-N-Out to close Oakland location, cites crime

In-N-Out Burger announced on Sunday the closure of the Oakland location after 18 years, citing “issues of ongoing crime.”

The company’s chief operating officer, Denny Warnick, released a statement regarding the closure. “We have made the decision to close our In-N-Out Burger location in Oakland, California, due to ongoing issues with crime.” Warnick said. “Despite taking repeated steps to create safer conditions, our customers and associates are regularly victimized by car break-ins, property damage, theft, and armed robberies.”
ArtificialStupidity

Post by ArtificialStupidity »

Thugs don't take well to $10 burgers.
Can we delete the artificialstupidity account? ~~ Varnish

This place needed him back.~~ HLT
BigMark

Post by BigMark »

It's a whole meal for $9.
PerryHall

Post by PerryHall »

They raise minimum wage and people lose their jobs and businesses go under. Libs are very generous with other people's money. :evil:
ArtificialStupidity

Post by ArtificialStupidity »

PerryHall wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:01 am They raise minimum wage and people lose their jobs and businesses go under. Libs are very generous with other people's money. :evil:
Went to an old favorite Mexican place for dinner on Sunday. At about 6 pm, the parking lot was nearly empty. Bar area, empty. Dining area maybe 25% of capacity.

Minimum wage is $15.50, so the employment cost is twenty bucks plus per person all in.

$18-22 for fajitas. $13 for a not large appetizer of guacamole. $6 for a Pacifico with a chunk of lime.
Can we delete the artificialstupidity account? ~~ Varnish

This place needed him back.~~ HLT
flaminio

Post by flaminio »

New San Francisco Restaurant’s Planters Smashed Days Before Opening, Causing $10K in Damage

A Mediterranean restaurant set to open later this week on San Francisco's Embarcadero was vandalized early Monday morning, owner Anu Bhambri told The Standard.

Bhambri said around 5 a.m. Monday, vandals destroyed roughly $10,000 worth of garden planters surrounding the Alora restaurant, which is set to open on Thursday.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Many residents and business owners across San Francisco have installed garden planters to deter homeless encampments, fueling criticism from advocates for homeless people who denounce the planters as "hostile architecture."

But Bhambri said this was not the restaurant's intention and said she was unaware of the controversy surrounding planters.

"If we knew, we wouldn’t have done it," Bhambri said. "We were just setting up the restaurant."

How DARE you not want a homeless encampment outside your fine dining establishment?
flaminio

Post by flaminio »

London Breed is blurring the lines of what it means to be a moderate Democrat

San Francisco Mayor London Breed joined local and national Republicans in their misguided pursuit to roll back Proposition 47 — legislation that was passed a decade ago to help the state address its overcrowded, overburdened and expensive jail and prison system.

Misguided? Geez. This was the prop that basically made stealing legal, and with a generous assist from COVID, has turned downtown SF into an abandoned wasteland.
SFDukie

Post by SFDukie »

flaminio wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:38 am
The videographer did a good job. I agree with almost everything said by those he interviewed, although I’d add that there’s a big outdoor community here. Lots of surfers, kayakers, climbers, mountaineers.
Car breakins happen way too often, and they suck. The homelessness and open drug use are horrific and sobering. Wish we knew the answer. It’s not an easy ? If you’re prone to addiction and homeless in Wichita- are you going to stay there if you can go elsewhere? Nope.
RMan

Post by RMan »

SFDukie wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:14 pm
Car breakins happen way too often, and they suck. The homelessness and open drug use are horrific and sobering. Wish we knew the answer. It’s not an easy ? If you’re prone to addiction and homeless in Wichita- are you going to stay there if you can go elsewhere? Nope.
Disagree. I think it could be handled "easily" if people actually wanted to and stopped trying to be all weak and nice about it.
The attitude of giving addicts money and housing and food and letting them flout the law should stop. Major cities on the west coast are all seeing this. Largely because of drugs and loosening of the law.
Like you kind of say...if they are like this somewhere else, but there are laws that are enforced and no free things, then why stay when they could go elsewhere and get their drugs, free things, and not be held to laws?