Welcome to San Francisco

Talk about whatever you like but please try to keep it somewhat clean.

Moderator: clw54

flaminio
EZEKIEL 23:20

Re: Welcome to San Francisco

Post by flaminio »

Rollo Tomassi wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:34 pm Hell is probably paved with roundabouts. :mad:
It's not Caltrans' fault that you suck at driving.

And turn off you goddam blinker already!
BobLibertarian • Skeptic • Omnivore • Atheist • Californian • Voter • Father • Numismatist • Curmudgeon • Genius • Non-Smoker • Happy-Go-Lucky
Friends: Petescorner • saintguru • Goose • xpipe • SFDukie • gsaguy • HappyLittleTrees • tumuss • Clark • Gyocomgd • "Cats are for fags." -TheLiberator
FREE ANONYMOOSEAn Eternal Sportsmind For YouJESUS WAS A LIBERTARIANI don't care what you think as long as it's about me...
MacCrimmon

Post by MacCrimmon »

Rollo Tomassi wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:34 pm Hell is probably paved with roundabouts. :mad:

You should try one in London ..... driving on the other side of the road :roll:
Ragin' Cherokee

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today."
"Walk lightly in the spring, Mother Earth is pregnant."
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced.
Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

"Laziness, when harnessed in a productive fashion is an asset." - TWODOGS
BigMark

Post by BigMark »

I didn't rent a bike there, would have gotten killed.
flaminio

Post by flaminio »

San Francisco's Union Square is emptier than ever

Real estate firm Cushman & Wakefield just released a report about the city’s retail market, which found that Union Square reached a new peak vacancy rate in the first quarter of 2024, clocking in at 20.6%. That record-breaking number helped drive San Francisco’s overall retail vacancy rate to a new high as well, at 7.9%.

“The decline in retail performance was primarily due to the worsening conditions in Union Square and the surrounding downtown areas,” Cushman & Wakefield analyst Soany Gunawan wrote in the report.

The record high may not surprise anyone who’s followed the litany of recent closures, including the North Face, Jeffrey’s Toys and Lacoste. Furthermore, Macy’s announced eventual plans to shutter its location in the square.

The loss of Macy's is the end of an era. Their Christmas decorations were always a destination back in the day.
BobLibertarian • Skeptic • Omnivore • Atheist • Californian • Voter • Father • Numismatist • Curmudgeon • Genius • Non-Smoker • Happy-Go-Lucky
Friends: Petescorner • saintguru • Goose • xpipe • SFDukie • gsaguy • HappyLittleTrees • tumuss • Clark • Gyocomgd • "Cats are for fags." -TheLiberator
FREE ANONYMOOSEAn Eternal Sportsmind For YouJESUS WAS A LIBERTARIANI don't care what you think as long as it's about me...
ArtificialStupidity

Post by ArtificialStupidity »

Not bad. Chicago Miracle Mile retail is at 30% vacancy.
Can we delete the artificialstupidity account? ~~ Varnish

This place needed him back.~~ HLT
PerryHall

Post by PerryHall »

It's a real shame what democrat rule has done to America's once great cities. :mad:
BigMark

Post by BigMark »

flaminio

Post by flaminio »

Record number of sea lions swarm San Francisco pier; largest gathering in 15 years, officials say

San Francisco's Pier 39 is getting a lot of attention right now. It's seeing the largest number of sea lions gathered in about 15 years.

The sea lions first appeared at Pier 39 after the Loma Prieta earthquake hit in 1989.

Visitors will find a lot to see and do around Pier 39-- the shops, the restaurants, the ferris wheel.

But, perhaps the star attractions right now are the sea lions.

Back in the day, this was a functioning marina, with lots of boats docked. Then a few sea lions moved in, and the boat owners tried to shoo them away, but being a protected species, the sea lions could not be harassed. Then more and more showed up, and have now taken over the entire marina.

Being easily visible from Pier 39, this has attracted more folk to this tourist trap, spending their money at the pier along the way.

I don't have the math, but in terms of net money spent, I'd wager the tourists spend more money at Pier 39 than the boat owners did at the marina. So, in that regard, the sea lions are a net positive for the coffers.

There's a lesson there somewhere, but I don't know what it is.

tlhoy
The Only Truck Driver That Hasn't Murdered Truck Stop Prostitutes, At Least That We Know Of

Post by tlhoy »

San Francisco Residents Outraged Over Cost of Providing Tiny Houses For The Homeless

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/san-fran ... 11249.html

Build tiny homes for over $100k that you can buy online $30k. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1672677504 ... TcQAvD_BwE
Destroy them a few years later to build new ones. What a brilliant idea!
Oh yeah and it costs only $3 million a year to manage this little community.
Glenn

The democrat party spreading misery and death since 1828

“In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way.” FDR
flaminio

Post by flaminio »

50-cent hike proposed for California gas prices

California’s already high gas prices could see an additional spike of almost 50 cents a gallon under a little-known proposal aimed at meeting the state’s aggressive emission reduction goal.

Right, 'cause gas in California is too cheap, so why not tax it some more :roll:
ArtificialStupidity

Flam, are you going to stay in California?

flaminio

Post by flaminio »

ArtificialStupidity wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:01 pm Flam, are you going to stay in California?
Only place I would move is Hawaii, so not much savings there.
PerryHall

Post by PerryHall »

flaminio wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:15 pm
ArtificialStupidity wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:01 pm Flam, are you going to stay in California?
You'd jump from the frying pan into the fire? :shock:
flaminio

Post by flaminio »

PerryHall wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:24 am
Climate trumps politics.
ArtificialStupidity

flaminio wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:37 am
PerryHall wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:24 am
Climate trumps politics.

And the mountains.

flaminio

Post by flaminio »

ArtificialStupidity wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:09 am And the mountains.
What does that even mean? CA & HI both have amazing mountains.
ArtificialStupidity

flaminio wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:24 am
ArtificialStupidity wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:09 am And the mountains.
What does that even mean? CA & HI both have amazing mountains.

It means that climate as well as mountains Trump politics.

I got the wrong city but the right state.

ArtificialStupidity

This is the best that Perry can do, and he is boycotting.

flaminio

Post by flaminio »

Bay Area waterfront cities selected for new ferry terminals

Several new ferry terminals are underway for three Bay Area cities, with hopes to ease commuters off the road and onto the water. The expansion is part of the San Francisco Bay Ferry’s 2050 Service Vision, adopted by its Board of Directors on Thursday.

Plus ça change plus c'est la même chose. Ferries used to ply the bay, but generally dropped out of favor once all the bridges got built (although there are still a few, most notably the Larkspur ferry, which is a very nice ride). But now the bridges are clogged, and there is concern that an earthquake or other event could render the bridges unusable for a time, so they're bringing the ferries back.

The map is very nice, but I can't imagine commuting from Antioch to SF via ferry (with two stops along the way). That has got to be at least a three hour tour.

PerryHall

Post by PerryHall »

Florida is the flattest state in the union. Great climate and low taxes. No state has a lower state income tax. :D