World Class First World Problems

in memory of Wipoto, whose whines were real, unlike yours

Moderator: clw54

Comrade Renski

World Class First World Problems

Post by Comrade Renski »

Fourteen months ago Mrs. CR and I purchased a world cruise. Mrs. CR has been looking for years. We found a great itinerary that included several Mediterranean islands including Malta and Sicily; Israel; cruise through the Suez Canal and Red Sea with stops in Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia; down the east coast of Africa to Kenya and Zanzibar; West Indian Ocean islands Seychelles, Mauritius, Reunion; then around the Horn of Africa, Durban and Cape Town; across the South Atlantic Ocean to St. Helena where Napoleon was exiled; explore Brazil for two weeks including a stop in Rio and a week up the Amazon; then up through Caribbean; USA - Miami, Brooklyn, Newport RI; around Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Isle and into Quebec City; up to Nuuk, Greenland; two stops in Iceland; Belfast, Liverpool and finally Southhampton.

Then October 7 Hamas attacked Israel. The Ship cancelled our stop in Haifa, Israel, reroute #1.

Then late November the Houthis in Yemen began shooting at cargo ships. The Ship cancelled Jordan, Egypt but kept Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Reroute #2.

Mid-December a MSC cargo ship was attacked, hours later MSC Cruises cancelled our Suez Canal and Red Sea transit. WTF! What's this reroute going to look like.

Days later reroute #3 eliminated all the Mediterranean stops - Malta, Sicily, Rhodes, Cyprus. The new route takes us west through Gibraltar, down the west coast of Africa, around the Horn, up the east coast to reunite with the original route in Kenya. Madagascar was added along with the Canary Islands, Cape Verde, and Dakar. This really blows! The unique part of the World Cruise was its North-South trek including the Suez Canal transit; most World Cruises follow the Equator. Now our track doubles back around South Africa.

Then yesterday we were hit with Reroute #4. Changes were made due to yellow fever issues and not enough time for everyone to get jabbed, so Dakar, Senegal was cancelled; one day less in Kenya (our overnight safari is toast) and a second port in Madagascar.

I can understand MSC Cruises dilemma - finding open ports and services for a 2,500-person ship and have safe established excursions with only days notice before launch must be a logistical nightmare.

Do we have any options other than cancelling and losing a ton of money? Not really, not this late in the game. Chapter 6 in the Ship's Rules & Regs states that a Ship can change a route due to "war, acts of God, and disease". Basically, the passenger is along for the ride. However, Mrs. CR is on a Facebook site for the Ship and passengers are so upset many are getting organized to demand smoe form of compensation for such drastic changes. Meetings are already set to occur when we get aboard ship.

We embark in four days.
Comrade Renski

Re: World Class First World Problems

Post by Comrade Renski »

cruisemapper.com screenshot from a few days ago. One can see the eastern part of the Med and Red Sea are vacant of cruise ships.
Clark
Just call me chuckles

Post by Clark »

I shed a single, solitary tear for you.
It’s going to get worse before it gets better.

Ds are much, much worse than Vs. - TWODOGS
BigMark

Post by BigMark »

A dolphin tear and a boutique unicorn fart. We feel your pain my friend!
Comrade Renski

Post by Comrade Renski »

:lol:
TRx
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by TRx »

You can always organize the passengers and mutiny and take over the ship! Then sail that sucker anywhere you want!!! Aye Matey!
Rollo Tomassi
Associate Smoe old dude's fried ball sundae

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Or steer to Somalia.
"Racist" is a toolword. You must know that.
Any objective examination of the effect of "them" has to lead you to the behavior and ideology that is now termed, "racist."

Refute if you can.
RMan

Post by RMan »

so, what I deciphered from all that, is that the house in Hawaii is open for OFR to come crash at while you are gone?!?!

Sweet! Might even be a pool ready before you get back ( :lol: :lol: :lol: )
surfinx

Post by surfinx »

he's also flying first class....with first world first class problems.

tears are coming.....when I can get these darn ducts working again....!
The space formerly reserved for smoething intelligent.

still not intelligent
Comrade Renski

Post by Comrade Renski »

surfinx wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:21 am he's also flying first class....with first world first class problems.

tears are coming.....when I can get these darn ducts working again....!
Youse can water ‘my’ grass once your ducts be working. :razz:
HappyLittleTrees
I'm so confused

Post by HappyLittleTrees »

Thoughts and prayers sent!
Comrade Renski wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:59 pm Young-Earth Creationists not only fail to take science seriously – they truly fail to take the Bible seriously.
cullenbryant wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:26 pm there is never no religion. if you removed every one you mentioned, man will build himself a golden calf.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

Lifes a beach...that's why we cruise. Bon Voyage and avoid the drones. :D
I speak for everyone. I am omnipotent :!:

Suches Life :heart:
Comrade Renski

Post by Comrade Renski »

Change #5: No Gibraltar.

Apparently docking in one country and taking an excursion to another is verboten if you are an American or a Brit(?) Gibraltar is a British Overseas territory - UK cruisers gotta be PO'd.

Euro-trash residents can tour Gibraltar. :mad:

Okoles!
surfinx

Post by surfinx »

Comrade Renski wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:10 pm Change #5: No Gibraltar.

Apparently docking in one country and taking an excursion to another is verboten if you are an American or a Brit(?) Gibraltar is a British Overseas territory - UK cruisers gotta be PO'd.

Euro-trash residents can tour Gibraltar. :mad:

Okoles!
I'm waiting for Change #15....I bet it will be "No Madagascar"
The space formerly reserved for smoething intelligent.

still not intelligent
Comrade Renski

Post by Comrade Renski »

batguy:
Rollo Tomassi
Associate Smoe old dude's fried ball sundae

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

"Racist" is a toolword. You must know that.
Any objective examination of the effect of "them" has to lead you to the behavior and ideology that is now termed, "racist."

Refute if you can.