Ever receive a bad check?

Talk about whatever you like but please try to keep it somewhat clean.

Moderator: clw54

ArtificialStupidity

Ever receive a bad check?

Post by ArtificialStupidity »

:)
Can we delete the artificialstupidity account? ~~ Varnish

This place needed him back.~~ HLT
ArtificialStupidity

Re: Ever receive a bad check?

Late 70's, my buddy wrote me a $5 check and it bounced. He offered to cover it but I figured it was worth the fin to hang onto the bad paper.

surfinx

Post by surfinx »

Several, including from dealers….
The space formerly reserved for smoething intelligent.

still not intelligent
PerryHall

Post by PerryHall »

surfinx wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:40 pm Several, including from dealers….
I knew a coin dealer who did all the major coin shows who got a bad check from another dealer. He wrote "BAD" on the check in big letters with a red magic marker and put it in his display case at the next major coin show. It didn't take long before the other dealer ran up to him with a fist full of cash to buy his check back. :lol:
WhyNot

Post by WhyNot »

Owned a business in the late 80’s so yes…. Hundreds of them.
walmann

Post by walmann »

Only when playing hockey, unless you count the time my personal checking account started having numerous bad checks being deducted from it from a completely unrelated business account. I had no relation to the business, the checking account numbers were not even close to being similar, the bank (was First Bank, now owned by US Bank), never could explain the how or why. This was back in the day prior to electronic notifications/emails, arriving home after hours and finding those in the mail, well the next morning I was not the nicest customer in the bank.
Sheep are fed information, wolves hunt for it.

"I apologize for replacing superstition with science. If it is any solace, the West has abandoned this and gone back to blaming the weather on the acts of man." - Don Surber
ArtificialStupidity

WhyNot wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:16 am Owned a business in the late 80’s so yes…. Hundreds of them.
Ouch.

Thirty years ago a large collection agent had an 800 number a digit off from mine. I beagn getting a bunch of calls from deadbeats responding to the collector's messages.

Started going up the chain and got to the controller of Pizza Hut. Told me that they did not accept credit cards (this was the early 90's) and they received a million bad checks a year. Said it was still cheaper than the cc fees.

He got the collector to change their number.
Last edited by ArtificialStupidity on Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

meos1

Post by meos1 »

Wife got rearended in a trailblazer that was three days old. Force was so great that the girl who hit the second car crashed into the back of our machine breaking the factory trailer receiver free from the rear end. The company was a PIA about the assessment of damages. This was the second rearend crash in a week for the driver who was talking on a cell phone.

After weeks of pack and forth we get the check so we can have the machine repaired. I was losing about $2.8k in the deal (I sue now this is why). Deposit the check and stroke a check to the dealership so repairs can get underway (No rental car, again why I sue automatically now). Dealer calls me to tell me my check bounced. I get a $35 bounced check fee and they need cash, no more checks.

I go to the bank to figure out what happened (It was common for my Wife in those days to simply kite a check and I would have to figure out the damage) and get a cashiers check. The CSR tells me the check from the insurance company bounced (Stop payment). I go home dejected and in the mail box is a new check from the insurance company that was about $300 less accompanying letter, etc.

I took it to the magistrate, explained the ordeal. He hands me the forms and says pay the $55 filing fee and submit the paperwork. I almost did not do it. The clerk there knew my Wife from HS and was sympathetic. She helped me get the filing correct and said stay here. She leaves and comes back with a warrant service officer and a warrant for arrest for the insurance agent. We travel to the agents office and the deputy tells him "You making this check good today and paying the court costs and bounced check fees or I am taking you in on a felony over $5000." Agent tried to push back and the deputy reaches behind his back and pulls the cuffs out.

The agents next words were "We dont have that kind of money here, its at the bank". We go to the bank and the agent moves some cash over with the CSR and then pulls out his check book for the agency and starts to write me a check. I tell him, "I'm sorry we dont take checks from you anymore. Has to be certified funds or cash." I left with a cashiers check and the knowledge I put the fear of god into a shyster agent who was likely doing something very irregular.
Rollo Tomassi
Associate Smoe old dude's fried ball sundae

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Not only bad, but counterfeited and duped. Saw her black ass in paper as a worthy member of the black community.
Sh'queah. Cute name.
Had to open new acct or bank wouldn't reimburse me. Pawn shop purchase.

Oh yeah...kited the numbers too.
"Racist" is a toolword. You must know that.
Any objective examination of the effect of "them" has to lead you to the behavior and ideology that is now termed, "racist."

Refute if you can.
WhyNot

Post by WhyNot »

I had a stamp custom made that had a cute devil holding a pitchfork with the words next to it saying You Are A Little Delinquent. I would use red ink for the stamp and send that along with the note saying please don’t make me ruin your credit forever on the bill for the amount due along with the bank fees. Amazing how many people came in and thanked me for giving them the chance to make it right and not just send them into collection. Most, maybe 90+% paid their balances in full. I used this for personal charge accounts past due as well as bounced checks. So instead of losing a customer as well as never getting paid for their balances I ended up with good paying people in the end.
Rollo Tomassi
Associate Smoe old dude's fried ball sundae

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I'd send Guido.
"Racist" is a toolword. You must know that.
Any objective examination of the effect of "them" has to lead you to the behavior and ideology that is now termed, "racist."

Refute if you can.
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

Many written to my businesses. Probably only a handful that were never repaid.

Never had one bounce written to me personally. Well, there was one exception where a check written to me personally bounced, sadly I wrote and signed the check out of one of my business accounts.

It resulted from a huge debacle that happened when I sold one of my businesses back around 1997. It was an all cash deal in the six figures which is always paid at closing to the closing law firm with certified funds. And the proceeds were written to us on the firm's escrow account which is also standard. So I deposit the proceeds check the following day and write checks on my account to myself and my two other shareholders. All 3 checks bounced because the law firm's escrow account check written to my business bounced. :shock: I went fuddernutter ballistic on the Law Firm. Come to find out that certified funds had been deposited by end of closing day but someone at BOA did not record the funds as certified. BOA was holding the funds 10 days! The Law Firm (quite large in size) went nuclear on BOA and without my shareholders or me having to lift a finger all funds were in our accounts, all bounce check fees disappeared, and a week later BOA sent a $100 apology gift to each of us. Needless to say both the Lawyer and BOA were very embarrassed and very apologetic.
I speak for everyone. I am omnipotent :!:

Suches Life :heart: