PSU Protesting yesterday

Talk about whatever you like but please try to keep it somewhat clean.

Moderator: clw54

BMatt

PSU Protesting yesterday

Post by BMatt »

On Monday, a group of "pro Palestine" kids took over and set up shop in the Portland State University library. Of course, my station has covered it all week but yesterday the cops came to remove them and it turned into pretty good live TV. I was on the air for about 4 hours straight. I took over for my fellow director who had been on for 3 hours before that... all in all nearly 7 hours of live local coverage.
About the time I hit the chair, police started breaking Elmo up and moving in. Arrests were made, tear gas was launched, fist fights and general standoff chaos.

At one point, some dude drove his car at about 50 kids... when he stopped they were throwing Elmo at his car and he was bear spraying people in the face. :lol: Eventually he took off running while still spraying kids... afterwards, they stomped the hell out of his car and then the cops got him.
All in all, a pretty fun day at the office.
This morning on my walk-about lunch break I stopped by campus (it's near where I work) and took a few shots. Lot's of cleanup happening today...
TRx
Mr. Nice Guy

Re: PSU Protesting yesterday

Post by TRx »

Quite an exciting day at the office for you.
ArtificialStupidity

Post by ArtificialStupidity »

:neutral:

Can we delete the artificialstupidity account? ~~ Varnish

This place needed him back.~~ HLT
BMatt

Post by BMatt »

TRx wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:39 pm Quite an exciting day at the office for you.
I'll be honest, it's one of my favorite things about this profession. I've had "front row seats" to a whole lot of crazy incidents.
.Image

I've been at it quite a while. whistle:
ArtificialStupidity

chin:

WhyNot

Post by WhyNot »

Nice peacock
BigMark

Post by BigMark »

I've had "front row seats" to a whole lot of crazy incidents. Like the cemetery...
cullenbryant

Post by cullenbryant »

Will be interesting to see how the courts handle the charges if any on the incident.

In 20 you probably remember that blm shooting of trump guy.

i get some of the news mixed up with seattle. but between the two, i've definitely seen some crazy street Elmo come out. i remember one vid of a guy taking a crow hop kick into a guys head. again can't remember might have been seattle. talking floyd holy days time period. u remember that one?
POTD-
5/2/07
6/3/09
BMatt

Post by BMatt »

cullenbryant wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:16 pm Will be interesting to see how the courts handle the charges if any on the incident.

In 20 you probably remember that blm shooting of trump guy.

i get some of the news mixed up with seattle. but between the two, i've definitely seen some crazy street Elmo come out. i remember one vid of a guy taking a crow hop kick into a guys head. again can't remember might have been seattle. talking floyd holy days time period. u remember that one?
The shooting was here in Portland, that was crazy. I can't recall the kick to the head but it's possible. I've seen some violence live on air... We also had a guy run past our reporter some years ago and yell "fuddernutter her in the here kitty kitty" :lol:
clw54
I have a blog

Post by clw54 »

Still have that awful DA?
--Smoetimes Clw's genius is just scary. :evil: -- Catch22

I hate the government -- Barndog

everyone wants to pontificate but nobody wants to wipe ass with one square -- Cullen
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

Looks like a fun time BMatt. Pretty exciting to be in the middle of it. :cool:

When you say you were on the air, do you mean you were reporting or just your team was running an on air talent?
I speak for everyone. I am omnipotent :!:

Suches Life :heart:
BMatt

Post by BMatt »

clw54 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:19 pm Still have that awful DA?
Yes. Coincidentally enough, last night I directed a live, one hour debate between him and his employee who's running against him, Nathan Vasquez. I expect Schmidt to lose by a landslide. It's a tough position to defend the last few years of minimal prosecution and a revolving door of druggies and criminals.
BMatt

Post by BMatt »

FatMan wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:39 pm Looks like a fun time BMatt. Pretty exciting to be in the middle of it. :cool:

When you say you were on the air, do you mean you were reporting or just your team was running an on air talent?
I am the man behind the curtain pretty much. I call the shots, direct the photogs, take cameras, roll the video, open and close microphones... all that jazz.
Everything is automated these days, it used to be a booth full of operator's, now it's me and a producer keeping time...
surfinx

Post by surfinx »

That's nuts. How the heck do you track all of it? That many screens.....mind would be blown.

perhaps more of a minority report than not.....
The space formerly reserved for smoething intelligent.

still not intelligent
WhyNot

Post by WhyNot »

surfinx wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:15 am That's nuts. How the heck do you track all of it?
He keeps a cameo CC Morgan in his pocket whenever he needs inspiration :)
FatMan

Post by FatMan »

BMatt wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:48 pm
FatMan wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:39 pm Looks like a fun time BMatt. Pretty exciting to be in the middle of it. :cool:

I am the man behind the curtain pretty much. I call the shots, direct the photogs, take cameras, roll the video, open and close microphones... all that jazz.
Everything is automated these days, it used to be a booth full of operator's, now it's me and a producer keeping time...
Yeah, right after I posted I recognized it was a silly question. A straight white guy on the air in Portland is nearly impossible. The only chance you have is you are ugly. There is some leeway there maybe. :razz:
I speak for everyone. I am omnipotent :!:

Suches Life :heart:
ArtificialStupidity

Upper left..is that the OFR that you have on air.

blink:

mdwoods
POTD Giver Outer

Post by mdwoods »

In Dearborn Michigan, muslims had a demonstration and were chanting "Death to the Jews" We need to eliminate islam from the US. Some European countries are on track to do that.
We Are Stardust

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight". Albert Schweitzer

"I fear that if my hope trumps my reason I will be entombed in false beliefs"
Robert Lawrence Kuhn
PerryHall

Post by PerryHall »

mdwoods wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:06 pm In Dearborn Michigan, muslims had a demonstration and were chanting "Death to the Jews" We need to eliminate islam from the US. Some European countries are on track to do that.
I wonder how many Jews will vote for the democrats in November after the democrat politicians condone this chit because they don't want to lose any muslim votes? I bet CM will because of his hate for Trump.
mdwoods
POTD Giver Outer

Post by mdwoods »

PerryHall wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:17 pm
mdwoods wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:06 pm In Dearborn Michigan, muslims had a demonstration and were chanting "Death to the Jews" We need to eliminate islam from the US. Some European countries are on track to do that.
I wonder how many Jews will vote for the democrats in November after the democrat politicians condone this chit because they don't want to lose any muslim votes? I bet CM will because of his hate for Trump.
I'm ashamed of the dems for supporting any type of islam.
We Are Stardust

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight". Albert Schweitzer

"I fear that if my hope trumps my reason I will be entombed in false beliefs"
Robert Lawrence Kuhn