Alan Watts

Talk about whatever you like but please try to keep it somewhat clean.

Moderator: clw54

mdwoods
POTD Giver Outer

Re: Alan Watts

Post by mdwoods »

HLT is right, I don't see anything in what Alan Watts stated to be falsehoods.
We Are Stardust

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight". Albert Schweitzer

"I fear that if my hope trumps my reason I will be entombed in false beliefs"
Robert Lawrence Kuhn
cullenbryant

Post by cullenbryant »

Of course not, even though I gave you one falsity within a minute of him talking.
POTD-
5/2/07
6/3/09
mdwoods
POTD Giver Outer

Post by mdwoods »

cullenbryant wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:26 pm Of course not, even though I gave you one falsity within a minute of him talking.
I don't agree with what you called false.
We Are Stardust

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight". Albert Schweitzer

Robert Lawrence Kuhn
mdwoods
POTD Giver Outer

Post by mdwoods »

cullenbryant wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:16 pm
HappyLittleTrees wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:52 am
cullenbryant wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:32 am A lot of Watts statements are false as are many of his presumptions. Probably why he speaks in monologue.
Give three specific examples.
Within the first minute he states that we got the bible thanks to the catholic church. He states that members of the catholic church wrote the books of the new testament. Jesus and his apostles who wrote much of the new testament were non secular. The word catholic appears nowhere in the entire text of the new or old testament. The people who wrote the bible did not recognize themselves as catholic, but as Hebrews who had converted to Christ.
The word doesn't occur because there was only one christian church at that time. Not surprising. Your argument doesn't pan out, perhaps he should have said we got the bible from what would be later called the catholic church but I think you're just nitpicking here
We Are Stardust

Robert Lawrence Kuhn
ArtificialStupidity

Post by ArtificialStupidity »

Religion is fine until it metastases into regulation and control of the general public.

Dallas in 1963, Aunt took me into a Target store on Sunday. It was eerie as the grocery area was well lit, but the large general merchandise aisles were dark. Explained the blue laws in the county. Can't by a pair of trousers or a hacksaw or a camera on the Sabbath. But what if your sabbath is on Saturday? Didn't matter, I guess.

Much of that crap dissolved since then. Then SCOTUS Knocked us back a half century. Ohh it was the correct legal decision. OK, even though Robert's tossed the Constitution when the ACA was on the docket.

Result will be 4 more years of the weakest president in the history of the republic. God's will, I suppose.
Can we delete the artificialstupidity account? ~~ Varnish

This place needed him back.~~ HLT
mdwoods
POTD Giver Outer

Post by mdwoods »

Like most organizations, religions start with hope but end up being only concerned with their own continuation and making money.
We Are Stardust

Robert Lawrence Kuhn
Rollo Tomassi
Associate Smoe old dude's fried ball sundae

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Whatever the conclusions may be, if anyone wants to avail themself of my services, I can make you to like down in a green pasture. :D
"Racist" is a toolword. You must know that.
Any objective examination of the effect of "them" has to lead you to the behavior and ideology that is now termed, "racist."

Refute if you can.
HappyLittleTrees
I'm so confused

Post by HappyLittleTrees »

cullenbryant wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:26 pm Of course not, even though I gave you one falsity within a minute of him talking.
And I cut you down in one sentence. You just still can't grok it.
Comrade Renski wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:59 pm Young-Earth Creationists not only fail to take science seriously – they truly fail to take the Bible seriously.
cullenbryant wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:26 pm there is never no religion. if you removed every one you mentioned, man will build himself a golden calf.
cullenbryant

Post by cullenbryant »

it is a false to state that the catholics wrote the new testament. L
POTD-
5/2/07
6/3/09
mdwoods
POTD Giver Outer

Post by mdwoods »

cullenbryant wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:43 pm it is a false to state that the catholics wrote the new testament. L
No, it isn't they became the catholic church, you're arguing over a very small misstatement. "The Roman Catholic Church believes that Jesus Christ founded the church around 30 A.D." found on the google.
We Are Stardust

Robert Lawrence Kuhn
MacGyver
Purveyor of the political smackdown

Post by MacGyver »

Nowadays, religion is relegated to being a marxist. I’d rather have the “good old days” when the chosen religion was believing in a “sky god”, not being a terrorist…and not believing cutting down trees for paper grocery bags is any better than using recycled plastic for grocery bags to hold all our plastic packaged foods.

Religion is not the problem…
------------------------------------------------------------
Farkas: “...if they found out how we knew what we knew about their … the Trump staff dealing with Russians...”

Page: "Potus wants to know everything we're doing,"

Barry: “...they’re now calling to ask for their foreign policy back because, you know, the Cold War’s been over for 20 years.”
mdwoods
POTD Giver Outer

Post by mdwoods »

MacGyver wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:12 pm Nowadays, religion is relegated to being a marxist. I’d rather have the “good old days” when the chosen religion was believing in a “sky god”, not being a terrorist…and not believing cutting down trees for paper grocery bags is any better than using recycled plastic for grocery bags to hold all our plastic packaged foods.

Religion is not the problem…
It's for sure not the only problem but it's still a huge problem and continues to hold back science.
We Are Stardust

Robert Lawrence Kuhn
clw54
I have a blog

Post by clw54 »

People here will argue about anything. :)
--Smoetimes Clw's genius is just scary. :evil: -- Catch22

I hate the government -- Barndog

everyone wants to pontificate but nobody wants to wipe ass with one square -- Cullen
mdwoods
POTD Giver Outer

Post by mdwoods »

clw54 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:26 pm People here will argue about anything. :)
No we won't. :wink:

We Are Stardust

Robert Lawrence Kuhn
cullenbryant

Post by cullenbryant »

mdwoods wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:02 pm
cullenbryant wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:43 pm it is a false to state that the catholics wrote the new testament. L
No, it isn't they became the catholic church, you're arguing over a very small misstatement. "The Roman Catholic Church believes that Jesus Christ founded the church around 30 A.D." found on the google.
What do you mean by "they became the catholic church". You could as easily make the same claim that they later became any denomination. But the truth is that they were simply of the body of Christ. The church of christ. all before catholicism came along. denominationalism was preached against in the NT actually.
POTD-
5/2/07
6/3/09
mdwoods
POTD Giver Outer

Post by mdwoods »

cullenbryant wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:47 pm
mdwoods wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:02 pm
What do you mean by "they became the catholic church". You could as easily make the same claim that they later became any denomination. But the truth is that they were simply of the body of Christ. The church of christ. all before catholicism came along. denominationalism was preached against in the NT actually.
I mean, they became the catholic church which was the only church in the beginning from what I can find. The body of Christ? Who called them that? Denominations may have been preached against but they exist. So which sect is the right sect of christianity?
We Are Stardust

Robert Lawrence Kuhn
cullenbryant

Post by cullenbryant »

according to the scriptures there should only be the body of christ. that is what the church is. it is also termed the body of believers. it is an organism, not an organization or a sect. the believers make up christs body. you are in that body if you never set foot into a building called a church, only on faith in the testimony of jesus and the apostles. i wish i could comprehend more about what that really means, but there are several nt scriptures describing it.

yes the early catholic church (indeed it didn't take long to begin sects) assisted greatly in the canonization of the scriptures. there were many writings of the time, many false christs and turmoil in the first century that had to be sifted through for validity. some of these non cannonical scriptures still come out of caves around qumron
POTD-
5/2/07
6/3/09
mdwoods
POTD Giver Outer

Post by mdwoods »

cullenbryant wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:09 pm yes the early catholic church (indeed it didn't take long to begin sects) assisted greatly in the canonization of the scriptures. there were many writings of the time, many false christs and turmoil in the first century that had to be sifted through for validity. some of these non cannonical scriptures still come out of caves around qumron
This was all done by men with an agenda. I wouldn't put much faith in that. You have a right to believe what you want just know that you are wrong. :D
We Are Stardust

Robert Lawrence Kuhn
cullenbryant

Post by cullenbryant »

They did a fine job and the book we know as the bible has a complexity unmatched and stands alone this many thousands of years later. Man couldn't devise a book spanning that many years like that, with those interesting and wise stories. I wish people could see it for what it is, maybe you will sit down with it sometime.

Why is God such a difficult concept? think about the ant. We share the space with him, he has no idea we are there. Why couldn't we have a greater than us situation similar to the observable ant's?
POTD-
5/2/07
6/3/09
mdwoods
POTD Giver Outer

Post by mdwoods »

cullenbryant wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:41 pm They did a fine job and the book we know as the bible has a complexity unmatched and stands alone this many thousands of years later. Man couldn't devise a book spanning that many years like that, with those interesting and wise stories. I wish people could see it for what it is, maybe you will sit down with it sometime.

Why is God such a difficult concept? think about the ant. We share the space with him, he has no idea we are there. Why couldn't we have a greater than us situation similar to the observable ant's?
I think the bible was written by men who didn't understand the universe as well as we do today, trying to explain how and why. The concept of a creator is not difficult for me to imagine but the god of the bible is not exactly the type of being I'd worship. And why would some being so superior to us want us to worship him. There are just too many things that don't make sense for me to be able to believe it. I'll agree that we are pretty limited in our understanding or maybe even in our ability to understand but that's still not a good reason for me to believe in any of the man made gods. There are many writing that predate the new testament. I don't believe them either.
We Are Stardust

Robert Lawrence Kuhn