Spoofing (Spooving) 101

There aren't many.
Petescorner
Mr. Nice Guy

Spoofing (Spooving) 101

Post by Petescorner »

Gyocomgd wrote:The "spoof" technique works like this: A forum member takes a thread title and, by substituting or adding a letter, or else altering a word very slightly, conjures an entirely new thread. The idea is for people to open the "new" thread thinking all the while it was the old one. They then are mildly surprised to discover it wasn't what they expected. It's a very popular and oft-repeated device used for the purpose of adding humor and levity to the forum.

Depending on the originality and cleverness of the "spoof," the thread and its author is frequently assigned a grade, expressed the same as for an assignment in a classroom setting. Outstanding spoofs will draw ravenous "A+" grades, while poor ones are given an "F." On occasion the "spoof" will draw an even lower grade--"F-" for example. The grades are always issued with good-natured humor.

With some "spoofs," readers are challenged to "read between the lines." For example, Yitzhakboner in this thread implied that that he is flatulent, and that the force of the gas, when expelled, is "as powerful as a hurricane." The incongruity and silliness of the image is what provokes laughter and enjoyment from those who read the "spoof." It is a posting technique that delighted internet forum followers when it first made its appearance years ago, and continues to entertain to this day.
Clark
Just call me chuckles

Post by Clark »

fish:
Petescorner
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Petescorner »

Why do you hate Guy, Clark?
wildjag
I'm so confused

Post by wildjag »

Where is the mandatory Image clause at :?:
Gyocomgd

Post by Gyocomgd »

People who think spoofs are funny are the same people who buy DVD boxed sets of Gilligan's Island.
vargha
Giving liberals the blues

Post by vargha »

Gyocomgd wrote:People who think spoofs are funny are the same people who buy DVD boxed sets of Gilligan's Island.
I need to look into that.
Petescorner
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Petescorner »

Quality Posts (in General) Ranked
Best
Girlie threads
Spooves (with Girlies)
Spooves (standard)
Any thread by Cherwood
Weiss building updates
EBay threads
CU threads
Pictures of dogs
What's for lunch/dinner
Garage Sale Finds
Jokes (Anybody besides TBone)
Jokes (TBone)
Pictures of mushrooms
Pictures of cats
Gold, bitches!
Watches
Weather threads
Videos of Johnny
Youtube threads
Merele Haggard threads
Merele Haggard youtube threads
Worst
vargha
Giving liberals the blues

Post by vargha »

Petescorner wrote:Quality Posts (in General) Ranked

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Videos of Johnny
Youtube threads
Merele Haggard threads
Merele Haggard youtube threads

Worst
:lol:
Catch22

Re: Spoofing (Spooving) 101

Post by Catch22 »

Merle's a lefty, but he's probably the best country singer and had the best band that's ever been assembled during his peak years.
ErnestT
Southern By The Grace Of God

Post by ErnestT »

Merle is THE Cat Daddy. :mad:
ErnestT PCMA

BFFL.....BigMark
mdwoods
POTD Giver Outer

Post by mdwoods »

I should spoof this thread
We Are Stardust

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight". Albert Schweitzer

"I fear that if my hope trumps my reason I will be entombed in false beliefs"
Robert Lawrence Kuhn
walmann

Post by walmann »

The Poster Protection and Affordable Careless Act imposes a penalty, no a tax, for not posting at least one spoof a day.
Sheep are fed information, wolves hunt for it.

"I apologize for replacing superstition with science. If it is any solace, the West has abandoned this and gone back to blaming the weather on the acts of man." - Don Surber
clw54
I have a blog

Post by clw54 »

Petescorner wrote:
Gyocomgd wrote:The "spoof" technique works like this: A forum member takes a thread title and, by substituting or adding a letter, or else altering a word very slightly, conjures an entirely new thread. The idea is for people to open the "new" thread thinking all the while it was the old one. They then are mildly surprised to discover it wasn't what they expected. It's a very popular and oft-repeated device used for the purpose of adding humor and levity to the forum.

Depending on the originality and cleverness of the "spoof," the thread and its author is frequently assigned a grade, expressed the same as for an assignment in a classroom setting. Outstanding spoofs will draw ravenous "A+" grades, while poor ones are given an "F." On occasion the "spoof" will draw an even lower grade--"F-" for example. The grades are always issued with good-natured humor.

With some "spoofs," readers are challenged to "read between the lines." For example, Yitzhakboner in this thread implied that that he is flatulent, and that the force of the gas, when expelled, is "as powerful as a hurricane." The incongruity and silliness of the image is what provokes laughter and enjoyment from those who read the "spoof." It is a posting technique that delighted internet forum followers when it first made its appearance years ago, and continues to entertain to this day.
This is a first rate johnboy imitation. thumbsup:
--Smoetimes Clw's genius is just scary. :evil: -- Catch22

I hate the government -- Barndog

everyone wants to pontificate but nobody wants to wipe ass with one square -- Cullen