Have I bitched about the Fentanyl Patch yet???

in memory of Wipoto, whose whines were real, unlike yours

Moderator: clw54

TRx
Mr. Nice Guy

Have I bitched about the Fentanyl Patch yet???

Post by TRx »

Here's a list of possible side-effects... My poor MIL has suffered those in bold. It's like a nightmare but the docs insist things will improve. I hope so. :mad:

Fentanyl Patch
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Fentanyl Patch:

Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; exaggerated sense of well-being; headache; indigestion; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; mild redness, swelling, or discomfort at the skin application site; sleeplessness; stomach pain or discomfort; sweating; vomiting.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Fentanyl Patch:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; confusion; coughing up blood; difficulty urinating; difficulty talking, thinking, or walking; difficult, shallow, or slow breathing; excessive dizziness or drowsiness; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fatigue; fever; flu-like symptoms (eg, headache, muscle aches, tiredness); hallucinations; mood or mental changes (eg, anxiety, agitation, depression); memory loss; muscle rigidity; numbness or tingling; persistent sore throat; seizures; shortness of breath; tremor; vision problems; weakness.

Read more: http://www.drugs.com/sfx/fentanyl-side- ... z0t1RhEfRi
tumuss
Violent Passivist

Post by tumuss »

Cherwood will buy them off you.
TRx
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by TRx »

What is even more astounding is the changes that can seem to occur day to day... hell, hour to hour.

We need a break, thus the planned vacation. We've set up a FT nurse and another family member to come stay with her while we are gone. My mind says I should feel bad leaving right now but I'm embarassed to say I don't. I have a whole new respect for those that care for their family members till the end.
InternetJunky

Re: Have I bitched about the Fentanyl Patch yet???

Post by InternetJunky »

texasrichard wrote: Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Fentanyl Patch:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; confusion; coughing up blood; difficulty urinating; difficulty talking, thinking, or walking; difficult, shallow, or slow breathing; excessive dizziness or drowsiness; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fatigue; fever; flu-like symptoms (eg, headache, muscle aches, tiredness); hallucinations; mood or mental changes (eg, anxiety, agitation, depression); memory loss; muscle rigidity; numbness or tingling; persistent sore throat; seizures; shortness of breath; tremor; vision problems; weakness.

Read more: http://www.drugs.com/sfx/fentanyl-side- ... z0t1RhEfRi
Me thinks Fentanyl isn't the right choice. Does the doctor know all of these severe symptoms are being experienced? I'm probably behind on exactly what is going on with this situation so don't get upset just fill me in if you want to.
cars
I want one of cinman's girls.

Post by cars »

My sisters mother died a few months ago from those patches, 2 weeks later her husband did as well. They were chewing them like gum. :roll:
TRx
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by TRx »

Since she started the patch she's been in the ER twice. The hospital won't admit her and she goes to one doctor or another almost daily.
InternetJunky

Post by InternetJunky »

I'm not sure what the circumstances are but the pain must be unbearable. Fentanyl is 100x stronger than Morphine.

Quite honestly I have used this before but no where near a whole patch. I chewed a piece smaller than my pinky finger nail and vomited within an hour - that stuff is intense.
ErnestT
Southern By The Grace Of God

Post by ErnestT »

cars wrote:My sisters mother died a few months ago from those patches, 2 weeks later her husband did as well. They were chewing them like gum. :roll:

You from Arkansas?
ErnestT PCMA

BFFL.....BigMark
Hyperion
Pillar of the East

Post by Hyperion »

texasrichard wrote:What is even more astounding is the changes that can seem to occur day to day... hell, hour to hour.

We need a break, thus the planned vacation. We've set up a FT nurse and another family member to come stay with her while we are gone. My mind says I should feel bad leaving right now but I'm embarassed to say I don't. I have a whole new respect for those that care for their family members till the end.
There's nothing in the world as draining as having a relative hospice at home, my dad was with my mom, me and another sib at home for almost 2 years before he succumbed to prostate cancer. Don't be afraid to clear your head.
“Hyperion was equally blessed and plagued with a very sedate disposition. He was lazy to the extreme, and had to be worked hard to be made fit.”
Coincopwife
Site Admin

Post by Coincopwife »

texasrichard wrote:What is even more astounding is the changes that can seem to occur day to day... hell, hour to hour.

There is absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. You need the break, you're covering her very well with the FT nurse and other family, and you are no good to yourselves or her if you don't get a break from time to time.

I can not believe they are keeping her on those patches with that many issues.
Donwon

Post by Donwon »

I have most of those symptoms and don't take that patch.
You deserve that break.
I spell things my way.
CC
Irregular Moderator

Re: Have I bitched about the Fentanyl Patch yet???

Post by CC »

texasrichard wrote:
exaggerated sense of well-being;
This is a side effect? Sounds like a benefit to me.
Of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are nothing but targets, nine are real fighters. We are lucky to have them. They make the battle. Ah, but the one, one of them is a Warrior and he will bring the others back.

We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
cars
I want one of cinman's girls.

Post by cars »

ErnestT wrote:
cars wrote:My sisters mother died a few months ago from those patches, 2 weeks later her husband did as well. They were chewing them like gum. :roll:

You from Arkansas?
:lol: Half sister, figured that would have been obvious. I don't care for the bitch though, wish she had chewed on some of them.
TRx
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by TRx »

Maybe it's something different. The patch I'm talking about is a transdermal thing that gets stuck to her shoulder or other spot. It is not something you chew.
BigMark

Post by BigMark »

:lol: smack:
Everything posted here is satire, if you need a safe space please don't read my posts.
InternetJunky

Post by InternetJunky »

texasrichard wrote:Maybe it's something different. The patch I'm talking about is a transdermal thing that gets stuck to her shoulder or other spot. It is not something you chew.
No you are correct. It is a patch meant to put on the body but a lot of people chew it to get the effects more intensely & quickly.
adamlaneus
CCW likes me more than Rollo

Post by adamlaneus »

When my mom passed a few years ago, some of those patches were involved towards the end.
There is something like three full days of medicine in one of those patches, time-released slowly. Folks have died when something goes wrong with the time-release. I suspect chewing them is a death wish.
I'm grateful my mom's time in distress was very, very short.